Once Open Enrollment Ends:
When Can You Change Your Benefits?
Major Life Events
Outside of the annual open enrollment period, an employee may change an enrollment election (i.e., add or delete dependents, change level of coverage) only if there has been a “major life event.”
The following are considered qualifying events:
• Marriage, Civil Union partner or divorce /dissolution of marriage or civil union
• Birth or adoption of a child by the employee
• Termination of employment (or commencement of employment) of the employee’s spouse
• The Spouse/partner has a significant change in employment status
• Taking an unpaid leave of absence by the employee or the employee’s spouse
• You waive medical coverage for yourself or your family members because of other health-care coverage—and you lose that other coverage for certain reasons.
• An enrolled family member dies.
Click here for detailed for more information on how to process a change in status due to a Major Life Event.