Outside of the annual open enrollment period, an employee may change an enrollment election (i.e., add or delete dependents, change level of coverage) only if there has been a “major life event.”
The following are considered qualifying events:
• Marriage, Civil Union partner or divorce /dissolution of marriage or civil union
• Birth or adoption of a child by the employee
• Termination of employment (or commencement of employment) of the employee’s spouse
• The Spouse/partner has a significant change in employment status
• Taking an unpaid leave of absence by the employee or the employee’s spouse
• You waive medical coverage for yourself or your family members because of other health-care coverage—and you lose that other coverage for certain reasons.
• An enrolled family member dies.
Click here for detailed for more information on how to process a change in status due to a Major Life Event.
State of NJ – Division of Pension & Benefits